Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Hampton, VA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Hampton?

The Commonwealth of Virginia's Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation regulates and licenses the activities of over 317,800 licensed professionals in Hampton, and across the state, through 20 boards and commissions. Hiring a professional licensed and regulated by the DPOR is a good way to ensure that your project is done to high standards and turns out as you intend it. To confirm that the professional you're about to hire is licensed, you can access the License Lookup portal maintained by the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation.

Asides from getting a licensed professional, it is important that you make sure that all other requirements for the project are satisfied. For certain projects, such as home improvement and construction-related projects, Hampton requires that a permit be obtained from the Development Services Center of the city's Community Development Department. You may obtain information on what permits are required and also obtain these permits through the Online Permits and Inspection Center or by calling the Center at (757) 728-2444.

Virginia Contractor License Search:

Do Hampton Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Hampton Neighborhood associations cannot issue permits for building or construction-related projects. These neighborhood organizations work with city officials to promote programs and services that help improve the lives of the residents of their neighborhoods and the entire city as a whole. On September 8, 2021, the Hampton City Council met to debate a new zoning amendment that will affect the way people within the city vehicles on, and around, their property. The amendment, which is seeking to preserve greenspace and improve curb appeal, would penalize people that park cars on their lawns as opposed to driveways and on the street. Hampton has also continued with plans to revitalize the downtown area and this has led to the commencement of several infrastructure projects within the area. Some of these include a large mixed-use residential and commercial development, a new aquaculture research center, and a re-branded luxury hotel.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Hampton?

Residents of Hampton may file unfair business complaints against professionals and businesses in the city through the Office of the Attorney General of Virginia or the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation(DPOR).

You can make a complaint to the Attorney General's Office by either using the online complaint form or by completing a downloadable complaint form that is to be sent to

  • Office of the Attorney General of Virginia
  • Consumer Protection Section
  • 202 North Ninth Street
  • Richmond, VA 23219

Note that the Office of the Attorney General is only equipped to handle specific types of complaints, and you can find out if your complaint falls within its jurisdiction by using the Agency Search tool that it provides for this purpose. After the Attorney General's Office receives your complaint, a copy is sent to the business complained of for a response. The Attorney General's Office typically serves as a mediator between yourself and the business, and in some instances, it may be forward complaints to another agency if it is believed that the agency is in a better position to handle the matter.

On the other hand, if you choose to complain to the DPOR, you should ensure that your complaint is in relation to professionals licensed by one of its regulatory boards. To make a complaint to the DPOR, you can either fill the DPOR's online complaint form or send a completed complaint form to

  • Compliance and Investigations Division
  • Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
  • 9960 Mayland Drive
  • Suite 400
  • Richmond, VA 23233-1463

AS a regulatory body, the DPOR can take disciplinary action against licensed professionals and reviews complaints that it receives to determine if a violation of board regulations or laws has occurred. If it is determined that there has indeed been a violation, the appropriate regulatory board of this agency will take necessary disciplinary measures against the erring professional or business.

You should note that the DPOR and the Attorney General's Office cannot institute private legal action on your behalf, offer legal advice to you or guarantee that a business or professional satisfactorily restitutes or corrects any perceived deficiencies. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome of either of these agencies' complaint processes, you may proceed to a Hampton General District Court to file a legal action against the business.